EneaDoku

5887512b277ca_Moscowdaytourswallpaper201

We have long established that there is no one path that will lead to success as a trader. This insight points to an essential element of trading success. If you get nothing else out of reading this thread than the one following principle, you do not need to read anything else.

If I try to teach you what I do, you will fail because you are not me. 

If you hang around me, you will observe what I do, and you may pick up some good habits.

But there are a lot of things you will want to do differently.

Colm O'Shea

The idea that using a methodology that suits your personality is an essential component of trading success that also helps explain why most people lose money using trading systems they bought. Why is that true? Is it because most trading systems don’t work on data not used in their development? I am not implying that. Actually, I have no idea what percentage of trading systems sold to the public provide a market edge. But even if I assumed that more than 50 percent of the systems sold would be profitable if applied as instructed, I would still expect over 90 percent of the buyers of those systems to lose money trading them.

Why? Because every trading system, regardless of the strategy employed, is going to hit periods when it does poorly. Now, if you buy a system, by definition, it has nothing to do with your personality or beliefs. In many, if not most, cases, you won’t even have any idea what drives the system’s signals. Consequently, the first time the system hits a bad period, you are not going to have the confidence to stay with the system, and you will stop trading it. That is why, invariably, most people who buy systems will end up losing: They will stop using the system when it goes through a bad period, and they won’t be there when the system recovers.

Edited by EneaDoku

Trading advice that doesn't suck - here

Dagnar

Consequently, the first time the system hits a bad period, you are not going to have the confidence to stay with the system, and you will stop trading it. That is why, invariably, most people who buy systems will end up losing: They will stop using the system when it goes through a bad period, and they won’t be there when the system recovers.

Неужели из этого следует вывод, что если система начала сливать, то нужно продолжать ее использовать, в надежде переждать "bad period"? И как отличить плохой период от "совсем поломалась"? Опять все упирается в неформализованные методы, личные экспертные оценки, чутье и прочую ахинею.

• Thanks 1
EneaDoku

Опять все упирается в неформализованные методы, личные экспертные оценки, чутье и прочую ахинею.

Exactly Dagnar, I completely agree with you. Personal expert valuation requires you to be an expert in the first place which means knowing the different nuances of your system on different market conditions and coupling that with efficient diversification of your current positions.

Systems with simple rules of thumb, will eventually end up losing money if the average person buying them  can't distinguish a bad period from a "completely broke down" period.  The real power of rules of thumb lies on the ability of their user to stop using them when they do not work anymore. If the system has evolved gradually with time & hard work and you have avoided "switching between systems" you probably have created a methodology that suits the nuances of your personality and only you can trade exactly that way.

Can some systems have similarities with other systems people use? Of course, there are only a finite number of sources people can derive an edge (i am writing a blog post for this by the way, here in the forum) but the thought process that takes those trades at exactly that exact moment is highly individual.

Edited by EneaDoku

Alex_Prof

Опять все упирается в неформализованные методы, личные экспертные оценки, чутье и прочую ахинею.

Не знаю как всех остальных, но меня они, как правило, частенько подводят...  

• Thanks 1
AntFX

Нет никакой зависимости от мифических "индивидуальных" особенностей в использовании механических ТС. Если трейдер не может перетерпеть нормальную для данной ТС просадку, это его личные проблемы психологического характера, которые мешают ему стать выигрывающим трейдером. Их нужно либо преодолевать, либо заняться чем-нибудь другим. Потому что в обычной "ручной" торговле все будет точно также, только ещё хуже, потому что никакой уверенности в своем преимуществе, основанной на глубоких и точных тестах, у трейдера уже не будет.

Что касается определения момента, когда ТС "переживает плохой период" и когда "ломается", тут все четко - на основании глубоких тестов на прошлой истории, какие были по глубине и длительности максимальные просадки, прибавляем к ним 10-20% и при превышении на реале просадки по этим показателям делаем вывод, что система сломалась. А иначе продолжаем торговать. Теоретически нормальные просадки по глубине и длительности у любой ТС могут быть любыми, но это чистая математическая теория, не связанная с практикой. На практике превышение этих показателей будет чаще всего означать поломку. А пока они не превышены - нужно взять себя в руки и продолжать торговать, ожидая лучших времен. От "особенностей характера" это не зависит никак, если не считать того, что если человек не может этого сделать, то он не станет прибыльным трейдером.

Edited by AntFX
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

EneaDoku

That's right AntFX, you are right. I really like the approach of adding 10-20% to the maximal historical drawdown to judge the system breaking point. I am just guessing you are more of a systematic trader. For those who are new in  trading, i want you to know that the main strategies that are employed can be systematic or discretionary, and anything in between. 

Purely systematic approaches strive to identify the fair value price, using mathematical models, that may derive their edge from theoretical econometric relations between economic indicators, or just historical price data and try to forecast probable future price move. The idea is that most of these methods are automated, and because they do not need any human input, they are "emotion-free", so to speak. There are a lot of good traders that employ this strategy branch, personally i do not like it because i feel it is a constant research war and i lack the brains for it.

On the other hand, purely discretionary approaches rely on the person's ability to feel the way the market reacts to certain news events, underlining fundamentals, moving averages, levels etc. and on these observations the trader judges when the market is ready to accept his position. In this methodology the trader should keep his emotions always on check and do not fall in the euphoria (getting in too early)  or panic (getting out too late). I know that by now you are raging in your head "But i is pure logic, why the heck do you need to complicate it with your feelings", then i would say you have a more mathematical mind and your personality is fitted more towards a logic systematic approach.  

Edited by EneaDoku

drong

Неужели из этого следует вывод, что если система начала сливать, то нужно продолжать ее использовать, в надежде переждать "bad period"? И как отличить плохой период от "совсем поломалась"? Опять все упирается в неформализованные методы, личные экспертные оценки, чутье и прочую ахинею.

Все системы какой то период работают в плюс, а затем ломаются. Кто на этом попался начинает придумывать причины данному явлению. Причина этому одна, закончился благоприятный период для данного ТС, на который данный трейдер попал случайно. Почему так происходит???  Да потому, что мы видим только вершину айсберга, т.е того выделившегося из толпы трейдера, который в силу объстоятельств  попал на данный участок рынка, т.е. открыл счёт и начал торговать, в самом начале краткосрочного тренда, сам об этом не зная, ибо про тренд мы узнаём только по истории. Те, кто попали на этот участок раньше  или после, обычно сливают, и они очень быстро исчезают с поля зрения. А те кто попал в десятку, и естественно на завышенных рисках поднимает депо за 1-2 месяца до 3х значных цифер, делает грудь колесом и начинает описывать свою ТС, какая она у него особенная :D , и дают клятвенные обещания, что сливать не собираются, даже если это у него первый ПАММ.  А пережидать просадку это чушь. За время такого пережидания можно и депо кончить. И другая сторона, как определить, что просадка кончилась, или может дальше продолжиться. Всё хорошо просматривается только на истории. Обычно те, которые резко поднимаются, потом на таких просадках всё сливают, и не по одному разу, даже снижение рисков не помогает.  

Для длительной стабильной работы главное,  это иметь ТС с положительным матожиданием, которое подтверждается только длительной историей торгов.

• Thanks 1
AntFX

Purely systematic approaches strive to identify the fair value price, using mathematical models, that may derive their edge from theoretical econometric relations between economic indicators, or just historical price data and try to forecast probable future price move. The idea is that most of these methods are automated, and because they do not need any human input, they are "emotion-free", so to speak. There are a lot of good traders that employ this strategy branch, personally i do not like it because i feel it is a constant research war and i lack the brains for it.   On the other hand, purely discretionary approaches rely on the person's ability to feel the way the market reacts to certain news events, underlining fundamentals, moving averages, levels etc. and on these observations the trader judges when the market is ready to accept his position. In this methodology the trader should keep his emotions always on check and do not fall in the euphoria (getting in too early)  or panic (getting out too late). I know that by now you are raging in your head "But i is pure logic, why the heck do you need to complicate it with your feelings", then i would say you have a more mathematical mind and your personality is fitted more towards a logic systematic approach.  

Во-первых, причем тут "справедливая цена" и математические модели? В какие-то далекие дебри Вы залезли. Как раз системная торговля, основанная на теханализе, базируется на обычных индикаторах и на наблюдении за поведением цены. Только кто-то с "гуманитарным складом ума" может фантазировать, что он "понимает рынок", при этом не имея никаких к этому оснований, в виде глубоких исторических тестов, а только свое воображение. Или даже ему какое-то время действительно везло и он торговал в плюс. В итоге он утвердился в том, что он "понимает рынок", и сможет так торговать всегда. А потом он сливает. И поскольку поверить в то, что он на самом деле ничего не умел, а ему просто везло, он уже не может, он начинает выдумывать теории заговора об обмане его брокером или вообще всем финансовым миром. С другой стороны, системный трейдер четко понимает, почему то, что он делает, работает, и понимает, что работать это будет не вечно, и он хочет заработать как можно больше денег пока это работает, и успеть вовремя остановиться, потеряв не слишком много, когда оно работать перестанет. Это разница между подходами бизнесмена и фантазера, а не "разные черты характера".

• Thanks 1

EneaDoku
Beware of testing too many hypotheses; the more you torture the data, the more
likely they are to confess, but confession obtained under duress may not be admissible
in the court of scientific opinion
                                                                                                                                                                                                             Stephen M. Stigler, "Testing Hypothesis or Fitting Models? Another Look at                      Mass Extinctions, "
in Matthew H. Nitecki and Antoni Hoffman, eds., Neutral Models in Biology, OxfordUniversity Press, Oxford, 1987, p. 148.

To those who are new to the field, the above quote is referencing the phenomena of data mining and curve-fittingTo my understanding your criteria in judging the validity of an edge are deep historical tests. I said in the previous post that you must be a really smart guy for doing systematic trading that in which strategies are chosen based on historical testing, without falling in the pitfalls of data mining and curve fitting(hence the above quote). Also, how do you rediscover the new edge after it has failed, do you still engage on deep historical tests, or do you make external assumptions a.k.a "acting like you understand the market"? I am very interested to hear the answer of that question.

Maybe i am lost a little bit in translation, excuse me i have a long time without speaking Russian.

Edited by EneaDoku
  • Thanks 1

AntFX

Yes the curve-fitting is main problem of system trading. One should be not only smart, but cunning and quite self-critical, especcialy in parameters optimisation process.

By new edge you mean new strategy? One just should never stop his research over market, always find and test new approaches if he wanna stay in profession.

Edited by AntFX
  • Thanks 1

EneaDoku
One just should never stop his research over market, always find and test new approaches if he wanna stay in profession.

AntFX you have my respect for choosing systematic trading as your approach. As it is a very hard discipline, because, as you said it in the above quote, it is a constant-research-war to stay in the profession. However the average person that visits this forum doesn't have the mental capabilities to cope with the research requirements of systematic trading (fluent in econometrics and statistics). You can judge that from the level of discussion in the "Analysis & Automated trading forum". Therefore, it is my strongest opinion that systematic trading should be generally discouraged in this particular forum. 

I believe we agree that the majority of people reading this thread would be more fitted towards a discretionary approach to trading, which by the way it is not easy and requires years of practice, but  it will come more naturally to your personality. (i talk about discretionary trading in post #6)

Edited by EneaDoku

AntFX

Successful trading is not for ordinary persons in total. If one does not have required skills and diligence for TS development and testing, maybe it is better for him to invest in some of successful traders with PAMMs :)

• Thanks 1

EneaDoku

(Adding to the main topic)

I myself have spent nearly a decade trying to adapt technical analysis to trading markets, an approach that was very poorly attuned to my personality. It led to a lot of stress and frustration, because my mood shifted from good to bad with the direction of the next tick.  Although I steadily earned good salaries from my dayjob, I was still almost broke because I consistently lost money in the market.

It was not until i immersed myself in  fundamental analysis that i became consistent. Fundamental analysis gave me a methodology that allowed me to form a solid conviction on my trades so i didn't exit too early when i was right. I had found a methodology that was a much better personal fit. The point here is not that fundamental analysis is better than technical analysis, but rather that fundamental analysis was the better methodology for me. For other traders the reverse might be true.

You would be surprised by the number of people who waste time and money trying to fit their personality into a trading method that is not suited for them. There are traders who have innate skills in creating computerized trading systems that do well in the markets, but then feel a compulsion to intervene with discretionary trades, often sabotaging their own systems. There are traders who are naturally attuned to ascertaining long-term market trends, but who get bored staying with a position for a long time and then make short-term trades that lose money. People stray from methodologies that best suit their personality and skills all the time.

Edited by EneaDoku

• 2 years later...
kayz143

Finally! I found one of the few post here that is written in English. Online Translation is not accurate and its hard to understand the content. This is very informative post, I have learned and realized something while reading this thread, Thank you for sharing.

• Capman locked this topic